Deutsche Schule Melbourne is located in a 100 year old school building in North Fitzroy. The building accommodates four classrooms, a central foyer with library, staffroom and administration office.
It was originally built as a church in 1912. Later it was used by a school and appropriate changes to the building had been made. The catholic secondary school closed its gates in 2005. Following successful negotiations with the catholic church and the archdiocese Deutsche Schule Melbourne opened its doors to its first students in 2008.
The grounds of the DSM comprise a sports area, playground and sandpit. The playground was inaugurated in May 2008.
The DSM is located in North Fitzroy, five kilometers north of Melbourne's CBD, close to the Merri Creek and various parklands. The school is set amidst a quiet 100 year old residential area, predominantly built in “Federation Style”. Shops, cafes, restaurants and bakeries are located on Nicholson Street and St Georges Road and are easily accessible by foot.
A bus stop providing services towards Eastern and Western suburbs is located 100m from the school on Holden Street. Additionally, there are two tram stops on St Georges Road and Nicholson Street both heading north and south into the city. The Rushall train station on the Epping-line can be reached within ten minutes by foot. Parents taking their children to school by car find unlimited non-metered parking spaces on Barkly Street close to the school building.